PopClip Known Issues
PopClip works with most Mac apps including popular browsers and text editors. However, some software is not compatible with PopClip. This list represents the best of my knowledge at the time of writing. If you find another app that has issues with PopClip, please get in touch.
Known issues in PopClip 2022.12
- PopClip may be unreliable if the "Add to Fantastical" action is installed in System Preferences > Extensions > Actions.
Known macOS glitches affecting PopClip after installing a macOS update:
- Problem: PopClip was working before, but stops working completely after updating the OS.
Solution: Restart your Mac. This usually solves the problem, but if not then get in touch.
- Problem: PopClip appears when selecting text, but the copy and paste, spelling replacement etc. are not working after updating the OS.
Solution: The following steps may resolve the problem.
1. Quit PopClip
2. Go to System Preferences → Privacy → Acccessibility
3. In the list "Allow the apps below to control your computer", highlight PopClip and then remove it using the "-" (minus) button. (Fully remove ut not just uncheck it.)
4. Use the "+" button add PopClip again to the "Allow the apps below to control your computer" list.
Incompatible software (stops PopClip working entirely)
If you are running the following apps , then PopClip may work intermittently or not at all on your Mac:
- Cursor Pro
Please note that any other software which changes the default mouse pointers will also likely interfere with PopClip.
Incompatible software (PopClip won't work in the app)
The following software is not compatible with PopClip. This means that PopClip will not appear when you select text in the application. (List was correct the last time each app was tested, and is not an exhaustive list.)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and all other Adobe apps
- Citrix Receiver
- Final Draft 8
- Kindle for Mac
- Mail Perspectives 2
- NeoOffice suite
- Oracle SQL Developer
Most Java-based applications tend to struggle with PopClip. They may work in some parts but not others, or there may be some glitches.
|Google Chrome|| Symptom: Chrome opens up a new blank window when activating PopClip features.
Fix: Chrome has a bug where it does this if there is an update waiting. Update using the "Update Google Chrome" button in top right of toolbar.
|Alfred|| PopClip sometimes triggers Alfred's Clipboard Merging feature. This results in a "purr" sound when selecting text with PopClip in some apps. Workaround: Disable Alfred's Clipboard Merging feature (uncheck "Fast append selected text").
|LaunchBar|| PopClip sometimes triggers LaunchBar's ClipMerge feature. This results in a "click" sound when selecting text with PopClip in some apps. Workaround: Disable LaunchBar's ClipMerge feature.
|Microsoft Word 2011||Whilst PopClip does work with Microsoft Word 2011, it can sometimes behave erratically. PopClip may be slow to appear, or may not appear.|
|OnLive|| OnLive may crash if you use it while PopClip is running.
|Preview||When viewing PDFs in Preview in High Sierra (10.13) and Mojave (10.14), PopClip will not work. This is fixed in macOS 10.15 Catalina.|
|Google Docs||PopClip works only erratically with Google Docs . Sometimes PopClip will fail to appear, and other times copying and pasting text will behave oddly.|
|Sublime Text|| PopClip works generally well, but will interrupt the 'triple click and drag' technique to select multiple lines. Also, with certain packages installed, PopClip will not work. The packages I know of are "Path Tools" and "Arduino-like IDE".
|Firefox|| PopClip will fail with certain Firefox extensions installed. Ones know to cause problems are: Tiny Menu, Menu Wizard. However there may be more.