PopClip Known Issues
PopClip works with most Mac apps including popular browsers and text editors. However, some software is not compatible with PopClip. This list represents the best of my knowledge at the time of writing. If you find another app that has issues with PopClip, please get in touch.
If you are unhappy with your purchase, for any reason, you can get a full refund. See: How to get a refund.
Known issues in PopClip 2020.10
- In Microsoft Word 2016, when you select some text and press backspace, Word copies the text to the clipboard.
- In Firefox, PopClip can appear unwantedly every time you click on text in some websites including the "notion.so" website.
- PopClip fails to appear when clicking the Safari address bar if you have Show Favorites option enabled in Safari prefs. (Workaround: disable Show Favorites, under "Search" tab.)
Known macOS glitches affecting PopClip
- After installing a macOS update:
Problem: PopClip was working before, but stops working after installing a macOS update.
Solution: Restart your Mac. This usually solves the problem, but if not then get in touch.
- After updating your OS from macOS 10.13 or below to OS 10.14 or above:
Problem: PopClip appears when selecting text, but the copy and paste, spelling replacement etc. are not working after updating the OS.
Solution: The following steps should resolve the problem. If not, please get in touch.
1. Quit PopClip
2. Go to System Preferences → Privacy → Acccessibility
3. In the list "Allow the apps below to control your computer", highlight PopClip and then remove it using the "-" (minus) button.
4. Use the "+" button add PopClip again to the "Allow the apps below to control your computer" list.
- PopClip appears to be named "0" in the Security & Privacy → Accessibility list. This is currently a mystery and I don't know of a solution. It does not appear to have any functional implications, however.
The following software is not compatible with PopClip. This means that PopClip will not appear when you select text in the application. (List was correct the last time each app was tested, and is not an exhaustive list.)
- Adobe Reader, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator and other Adobe apps
- Citrix Receiver
- Dashboard widgets (all)
- Final Draft 8
- Java-based applications (most of them)
- Kindle for Mac
- LibreOffice suite
- Mail Perspectives 2
- Microsoft Office 2011
- NeoOffice suite
- OpenOffice suite
- Oracle SQL Developer
- Preview on High Sierra and Mojave (due to macOS bug - see below)
- Things 2 (Things 3 is compatible 🎉)
|Google Chrome|| Symptom: Chrome opens up a new blank window when activating PopClip features.
Fix: Chrome has a bug where it does this if there is an update waiting. Update using the "Update Google Chrome" button in top right of toolbar.
|Alfred|| PopClip sometimes triggers Alfred's Clipboard Merging feature. This results in a "purr" sound when selecting text with PopClip in some apps. Workaround: Disable Alfred's Clipboard Merging feature (uncheck "Fast append selected text").
|LaunchBar|| PopClip sometimes triggers LaunchBar's ClipMerge feature. This results in a "click" sound when selecting text with PopClip in some apps. Workaround: Disable LaunchBar's ClipMerge feature.
|Microsoft Word 2011||Whilst PopClip does work with Microsoft Word 2011, it can sometimes behave erratically. PopClip may be slow to appear, or may not appear.|
|OnLive|| OnLive may crash if you use it while PopClip is running.
|OS X Launchpad||For a small number of users, clicking folders in Launchpad while PopClip is running may result in the folder not opening properly.|
|PDF Expert|| IF PopClip is not working in PDF Expert, please try the following procedure:
1) Begin selecting text in PDF Expert.
2) Before you release mouse button, press Caps Lock.
3) 'Learn' will appear; click!
It should work after this. If not, let me know.
|Preview||When viewing PDFs in Preview in High Sierra (10.13) and Mojave (10.14), PopClip will not work. This is fixed in macOS 10.15 Catalina.|
|Safari - Google Docs||PopClip works only erratically with Google Docs in Safari. Sometimes PopClip will fail to appear, and other times copying and pasting text will behave oddly. It may also cause Safari to emit a beep. I recommend using Google Chrome at the host browser if you want to use PopClip with Google Docs.|
|Sublime Text|| PopClip works generally well, but will interrupt the 'triple click and drag' technique to select multiple lines. Also, with certain packages installed, PopClip will not work. The packages I know of are "Path Tools" and "Arduino-like IDE".
|Firefox|| PopClip will fail with certain Firefox extension installed. Ones know to cause problems are: Tiny Menu, Menu Wizard. However there may be more.