PopClip Known Issues
PopClip works with most Mac apps including popular browsers and text editors. However, some software is not compatible with PopClip. This list represents the best of my knowledge at the time of writing. If you find another app that has issues with PopClip, please get in touch.
If you are unhappy with your purchase, for any reason, you can get a full refund. See: How to get a refund.
Known problem after updating OS from macOS 10.13 or below to macOS 10.14 or 10.15 for the first time:
Problem: PopClip's copy and paste, spelling replacement etc. are not working after updating the OS.
Solution: The following steps should resolve the problem. If not, please get in touch.
1. Quit PopClip
2. Go to System Preferences → Privacy → Acccessibility
3. In the list "Allow the apps below to control your computer", highlight PopClip and then remove it using the "-" (minus) button.
4. Use the "+" button add PopClip again to the "Allow the apps below to control your computer" list.
Known issues in PopClip in v2019.10
- Fixed in Beta (Build 3045) [On Catalina 10.15.2, activating certain extensions can cause PopClip to crash. Select All, Formatting, Delete, and Highlight. And any extension that presses a key.]
- In Microsoft Word 2016, when you select some text and press backspace, the text is copied to the clipboard
- In Firefox, PopClip can appear unwantedly every time you click on text in some websites including "notion.co" website.
- PopClip sometimes fails to appear automatically when clicking the Safari address bar. This can happen if you have Show Favorites option enabled in Safari Prefs → Search. (Workaround: Uncheck Show Favorites)
The following software is not compatible with PopClip. This means that PopClip will not appear when you select text in the application. (List was correct the last time each app was tested, and is not an exhaustive list.)
- Adobe Reader, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator and other Adobe apps
- Citrix Receiver
- Dashboard widgets (all)
- Final Draft 8
- Java-based applications (most of them)
- Kindle for Mac
- LibreOffice suite
- Mail Perspectives 2
- Microsoft Office 2011
- NeoOffice suite
- OpenOffice suite
- Oracle SQL Developer
- Preview on High Sierra and Mojave (due to macOS bug - see below)
- Things 2 (Things 3 is compatible 🎉)
|Google Chrome|| Symptom: Chrome opens up a new blank window when activating PopClip features.
Fix: Chrome has a bug where it does this if there is an update waiting. Update using the "Update Google Chrome" button in top right of toolbar.
|Alfred|| PopClip sometimes triggers Alfred's Clipboard Merging feature. This results in a "purr" sound when selecting text with PopClip in some apps. Workaround: Disable Alfred's Clipboard Merging feature (uncheck "Fast append selected text").
|LaunchBar|| PopClip sometimes triggers LaunchBar's ClipMerge feature. This results in a "click" sound when selecting text with PopClip in some apps. Workaround: Disable LaunchBar's ClipMerge feature.
|Microsoft Word 2011||Whilst PopClip does work with Microsoft Word 2011, it can sometimes behave erratically. PopClip may be slow to appear, or may not appear.|
|OnLive|| OnLive may crash if you use it while PopClip is running.
|OS X Launchpad||For a small number of users, clicking folders in Launchpad while PopClip is running may result in the folder not opening properly.|
|PDF Expert|| IF PopClip is not working in PDF Expert, please try the following procedure:
1) Begin selecting text in PDF Expert.
2) Before you release mouse button, press Caps Lock.
3) 'Learn' will appear; click!
It should work after this. If not, let me know.
|Preview||When viewing PDFs in Preview in High Sierra (10.13) and Mojave (10.14), PopClip will not work. (It may work on the first page but not after the first two or three pages.) This is due to an accessibility bug in Preview which I have reported to Apple.|
|Safari - Google Docs||PopClip works only erratically with Google Docs in Safari. Sometimes PopClip will fail to appear, and other times copying and pasting text will behave oddly. It may also cause Safari to emit a beep. I recommend using Google Chrome at the host browser if you want to use PopClip with Google Docs.|
|Sublime Text|| PopClip works generally well, but will interrupt the 'triple click and drag' technique to select multiple lines. Also, with certain packages installed, PopClip will not work. The packages I know of are "Path Tools" and "Arduino-like IDE".
|Firefox|| PopClip will fail with certain Firefox extension installed. Ones know to cause problems are: Tiny Menu, Menu Wizard. However there may be more.